Advent | Week 3 | Tuesday
Tea Time Tuesday
The Christmas season is such an important time of year for me. (See my blog article here to read more.) I want to savor every moment, meaning, and experience of the season, and yet every year so many things compete for my time and keep me from enjoying and celebrating Advent the way I hope to. Holiday parties, extra decorating and cleaning chores, kids’ basketball games, winter illnesses, opportunities to travel- all compress an already tight schedule leaving little time for tending to my heart and spirit. When I am so busy, rushed, and overwhelmed that I find myself almost wishing for the season to be over, I know I am long past needing some time to reflect.
That usually triggers an actionable intention to set apart time in my day to sit and savor with my Savior. My favorite way to do that is to make a luscious cup of tea, or more likely, coffee, and have one of my favorite Chocolate Orange biscotti (see the recipe below). I have a wonderful sunroom-cum-office (a special gift from my husband a few years ago) where I can enjoy the beauty of nature out my window without experiencing the brokenness of being in it. I turn on my favorite Christmas playlist and reconnect with the Love Story of Advent and the Lover of my soul who patiently asks me to turn my gaze away from the to-do list and back to Him. He is waiting for me when I take the time to wait for Him. The true Meaning and Mystery of the season finds its way into my heart in the peace and stillness of those precious moments.
Chocolate Orange Biscotti
1 cup of granulated sugar
2 teaspoons of almond extract
¼ cup of orange juice
2 ¾ cups of all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
½ teaspoon of salt
½ cup of sliced almonds, toasted
½ cup of candied orange peel
½ cup of mini chocolate chips
1 cup of powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper
- In a large bowl, mix granulated sugar, eggs, almond extract and 3 tablespoons of the orange juice until blended.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in almonds, candied orange peel and chocolate chips. Divide dough in half; place on cookie sheet.
- Using floured hands, shape dough into 2 (8×4- inch) logs about 3 inches apart.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 15 minutes.
- Place logs on cutting board; cut into ½ inch slices. Place cut sides down on cookie sheet. Bake 10 minutes.
- Turn slices over; bake 10 minutes longer
- Remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack and cool.
- In small bowl, mix powdered sugar and remaining 1 tablespoon of orange juice until smooth. Drizzle over tops of biscotti. You can also drizzle melted chocolate over biscotti if you prefer.