Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Larger Story?
The Larger Story is the story of God and how he exposes what is most wrong with us while at the same time believing we can become who we long to be. The Larger Story does not protect you from pain, but it allows you to see what God is doing. It allows you to become relationally alive – to profoundly accept yourself and your part in the story God is telling. The Larger Story includes how to love others, even those who are hard to love. It is not a musical comedy, it is not meant to make you feel good, or to be momentarily excited. It is to instill a passion. We are to get deeply passionate about the beauty of the story that God is telling. So it is our hope that what we offer will, in some way, spur you on in your passionate about being a part of the beautiful story God is telling.
How is Larger Story connected to Dr. Larry Crabb and New Way Ministries?
New Way is pleased to join hands with Larger Story. This is a joint effort between the two organizations to promote and enhance the lifework and legacy of Dr. Larry Crabb to a larger audience. New Way will continue as long as Larry is healthy. New Way has, is and will continue to be an organization that offers SSD’s and training in spiritual direction as the center of what they do, as well as scheduling Larry’s time for training events that equip people to participate in conversations that reflect the Larger Story theology.
How old is Larry?
75 years old.
What books has Larry written?
- Inside Out
- Finding God
- Men and Women
- The Adventures of Captain Al Scabbard: The Baron’s Code
- The Adventures of Captain Al Scabbard: An Unlikely Smuggler
- Effective Biblical Counseling
- God of My Father
- Understanding Who You Are
- Marriage Builder
- Fully Alive
- Shattered Dreams
- The Silence of Adam/ Men of Courage
- Soul Talk
- The Pressure’s Off
- Understanding People
- The Personal Touch
- PAPA Prayer
- Safest Place on Earth
- 66 Love Letters
- Joy Breaks for Couples
- Hope When You’re Hurting
- Real Church
- A Different Kind of Happiness
- Be Strong, Be Courageous
- Every Man a Warrior
- When God’s Ways Make No Sense
- How to Become One with Your Mate
- How to Deal with Anger
- Becoming True Spiritual Community
- Who We Are & How We Relate
- Bring Home the Joy
For more information about Larry’s published works, see our page about Larry’s life on the narrow road.
When is Larry's next book coming out?
The date for Larry’s next books has not been determined but is in the final stages of publishing. If you would like to stay informed when it comes out, please fill out this form.
What is Spiritual Direction?
As we conceive it, Spiritual Direction is the process of exploring and understanding the interior world of another, recognizing both the work of the flesh and the work of the Spirit, and following the Spirit’s work in transforming the person’s interior world to become more like Christ.
Spiritual Direction moves deeply through the self-protective demands of the false self to discover and touch the holy and loving uniqueness of the true soul that lies beneath in every redeemed heart.
In simplest terms, the Spiritual Director follows the Holy Spirit in promoting spiritual formation.
Central to Larger Story Spiritual Direction is the close attention paid to the inner life of Spiritual Directors, particularly the passion that rules his or her conversation with the directee.
The Larger Story approach to Spiritual Formation deals with the internal dynamics of the soul that are normally thought to be the province of counseling and therapy.
Wisdom for understanding the human soul and encouraging Spiritual Formation is dependent on biblical anthropology, on what God reveals in His Word about people as fallen image bearers who can be restored through the provisions of the New Covenant.
For even more information on Spiritual Direction and how to receive it from one of our directors visit our Spiritual Direction page.
What is Larry's current recommended reading List?
- Collected Works – Jonathan Edwards on the Trinity, a brilliant discussion of God’s essential nature as relational.
- Bonhoeffer – Eric Metaxes, a profound and inspiring biography.
- Redeeming Singleness – Barry Danylak, an unmatched theology of the satisfying opportunity of singleness to reveal God in a unique way from married people.
- With Calvin in the Theater of God – ed. John Piper and David Mathis, an excellent introduction to Calvin as a man, as a pastor, and as a theologian. You’ll be challenged to think more deeply about what it means to glorify God.
- This Momentary Marriage – John Piper, a highly readable, practically helpful, and theologically rich discussion of marriage.
- To Change the World – James Davison Hunter, a penetrating and controversial exploration of how Christianity can and cannot change the world.
- The ESV Study Bible – far and away the most useful single volume in hearing God speak through His Word.
What are the 7 Questions of Spiritual Theology?
Here are the 7 Questions and recommended readings for each:
Question #1: Who is God?
• Experiencing the Trinity – Darrel Johnson
• The Holy Trinity – Robert Letham
• Mere Christianity (Beyond Personality) – C. S. Lewis
Question #2: What’s God up to?
• Desiring God – John Piper
• The End for Which God Created the World – John Piper
• Finding God – Larry Crabb
Question #3: Who are we?
• Understanding People – Larry Crabb
• CD on Gender – Larry Crabb
• The Silence of Adam – Larry Crabb
Question #4: What’s gone wrong?
• Sin and Temptation – John Owen (ed. J. Houston / J. Packer – Victor Books)
• Inside Out – Larry Crabb
Question #5: What’s God done about our problem?
• The Cross of Christ – John Stott
• The Pressure’s Off – Larry Crabb
• Evil and the Justice of God – N. T. Wright
Question #6: How is God’s Spirit moving today?
• The Impact of God – Iain Matthew
• Shattered Dreams – Larry Crabb
• The Great Divorce – C. S. Lewis
• Finding God – Larry Crabb
Question #7: How do we join the Spirit’s movement?
• The Pilgrim’s Progress – John Bunyan
• Becoming a True Spiritual Community – Larry Crabb
• SoulTalk – Larry Crabb
• The PAPA Prayer – Larry Crabb
• Connecting – Larry Crabb
For more information about the 7 Questions of Spiritual Theology, see our page about God’ Larger Love Story.