Questions from a Father to his Sons
Each birthday from ages 10 to 21 Larry would asks his two sons some combinations of the following questions based on what is going on in their worlds and stages of life. As the boys would struggle to respond to Larry’s loving probing, he would write down each of their answers to later be bound book for them. In this book that he gave to them he included each of their answers to each of these questions along with some of Larry’s own thoughts on the questions below.
We invite you to think about how you might be able to lovingly engage the heart of you son/daughter or grandson/granddaughter with thoughtful questions designed to help them to articulate what is going on in their own soul during that season of their life.
1. What is most important to you?
2. What do you think you do really well?
3. What do you like least about yourself?
4. What do you wish were different about you
5. Whom do you admire the most and why?
6. What do you like best about your grandparents?
7. What do you think when you think about God?
8. What do you like most about Mother?
9. What do you like most about Kenny?
10.What do you like most about your Dad?
11. What are you most afraid of?
12. What is God like?
13. What do you want to be when you grow up?
14. What do you like most about our family?
15. What gives you the most joy?
16. What is your best quality?
17. What do you see as the greatest beauty?
18. Say a word about yourself spiritually.
19. Is there anything you want to say?
20. What do you respect least about yourself?
21. What are you looking for in a woman?